A visionary perspective on industry trends. Comprehensive client services. Hands-on management. Since 1996 The Knight Agency (TKA) has utilized these principles to guide countless writers from query letter to published book, in the process developing a powerhouse roster of bestselling authors.
Our team has placed well over 2,000 titles across the entire spectrum of New York publishers, as well as at independent houses throughout the country. Though we have represented clients in virtually all genres, our areas of fiction expertise include women’s, romance, young adult, literary, mystery, fantasy, and science fiction, as well as multicultural and inspirational/religious fiction. Our agents have also placed narrative nonfiction, self-help, health, memoirs, and financial/business titles.
The agency focuses on a broad range of client services, addressing all aspects of our clients’ careers. TKA agents bring to bear their extensive experience and knowledge of subsidiary rights management in the areas of foreign, motion picture and television, audio, merchandising, and electronic rights. Additionally, our marketing and publicity department offers wide-ranging support in the areas of book promotion and branding.
In the continually evolving world of publishing, The Knight Agency remains committed to providing cutting-edge services and scouting for fresh, unique voices to bring to the forefront. Yet what truly sets our company apart are the lasting relationships between our authors and our team; ultimately, for us, it’s all about people.
Senior Agent and President
- General Women’s Fiction with romantic elements, humorous Women’s Fiction, Southern Fiction, high-concept Commercial Fiction
- A historical novel about a unique culture or time period.
- YA and MG of all stripes.
- Prescriptive nonfiction in areas of wellness, diet, finance/investing business, gardening, cooking, pop culture, personal development, Net culture, and unusual subjects explored brilliantly.
- Fantasy/women’s fiction that straddles the genres lyrically, i.e. Time Traveler’s Wife and The Night Circus.
- Upmarket women’s fiction
Vice President of Sales/Agent
- I am looking to add new nonfiction authors. Please send me your True Crime, Lifestyle, Cooking & Diet, How-to, Pop Culture, Humor, Parenting, Narrative, and Advice/ Relationship. I am really looking forward to seeing new material.
Vice President of Operations/Agent
- I would love to see more historical women’s fiction exploring unique moments in history with a strong sense of place. Fiona Davis, Chanel Cleeton, and Ariel Lawhon are all wonderful examples of the type of story that will grab my attention.
- On the contemporary side of the women’s fiction spectrum I want stories that will speak to readers personally, characters who will get in your head and cause reason for personal reflection. I love contemporary Suburban Dramadies (think Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty or even the modern classic Little Children by Perrotta . I’m also always interested in sweeping family dramas that bridge over into the commercial space such as Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng or All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin. I loved The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin, Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg, and This is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel.
- I love stories with strong southern themes. To me this means an overwhelming sense of another time (even if its in a contemporary novel); stories about a place steeped in ancient traditions and family expectations, unique cultural oddities and loveliness
-Fictionalized Stories featuring hot topics in the news and/or from the daily realities of modern pop-culture.
- In Romance I’m looking for urban-set contemporary romantic comedies. I know I’m one of a million but The Hating Game has been at the top of my favorites list for awhile. I also like stories featuring strong “underdog” modern heroines. In my view this can take a lot of directions, someone from a marginalized background, someone with an uncommon upbringing, a person who has overcome all the odds, etc.
- I’m a big fan of domestic suspense but it would really have to be stand out in a currently crowded space to grab my attention. It must have high stakes, a sympathetic protagonist, and a unique easy to spot hook
- I’m also really growing my list in the non-fiction space. I’m interested in narrative, prescriptive and gift nonfiction in a vast arena spanning from true-crime (especially as it relates to its lasting impact on history, a place or a group of people such as Missoula by Jon Krakauer or Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann), pop-culture, motivational/self-help, how-to guides, female empowerment, humor (especially humorous memoir), diet, platform-driven social media brands, modern parenting, and lifestyle to name a few.
- Beyond the above specific parameters I love stories featuring animals (ok, starring animals!), cooking/food/wine, world-travel, secret or underground societies, “clubs” of all sorts (knitting, book, widows, etc)., weddings, vacation spots, sports-influence
- My list is incredibly full at the moment. Still, I can’t bring myself to stop reading anything with a unique premise, particularly involving concepts that are relevant to the sociopolitical challenges of today and particularly with diverse voices.
- Would love something featuring a hero of dubious moral fiber/antihero; think pirates, highwaymen, corporate raiders, double agents, former spies who haven’t quite retired; could be fantasy, romance, YA, historical fiction.
- High concept/breakkout romance with a strong narrative running along side the road to HEA.
- Multi-layered adventure/puzzle narrative that’s not a mystery, in the vein of Katherine Neville’s THE EIGHT
- YA with a dark fairy tale atmosphere but that’s not a direct retelling, such as Melissa Albert’s THE HAZEL WOOD, WICKED DEEP by Shea Ernshaw; contemporary high-school based stories with psychological twists; charming, sweet romance intertwined with bigger life issues; historical fiction featuring teens taking on tasks/roles unusual for their age.
- MG featuring strong friendships, or large families of siblings; neighborhood adventures; humorous misadventures; fantasy/paranormal adventures in real-world setting—either contemporary or historical.
- Voice- and character-driven fiction told with strong pacing and engaging plot twists; stories that inspire and make me think.
- Mainstream/upmarket fiction with magic or or other genre tropes/crossover appeal, such as Erin Morgenstern’s THE NIGHT CIRCUS, THE HISTORIAN by Elizabeth Kostova, and MR. PENUMBRA’S 24-HOUR BOOKSTORE by Robin Sloan.
- #ownvoices and diverse projects where the diversity is not necessarily the main thrust of the story.
- Complex female characters dealing with family dynamics, romance, and own identity.
- Late 19th and early 20th century fiction set in U.S./Europe/Latin America; dual-timeline narratives; alternate histories, such as Jo Walton’s Farthing, Mary Robinette Kowal’s THE CALCULATING STARS.
- Thrillers with a female protagonist
- Historical Fiction set during either WWI or WWII or Historical Fiction about the Romanovs.
- Cozy Mystery with an innovative approach, no paranormal elements.
- A humorous Middle Grade with a female detective protagonist.
Marketing Director, Associate Agent
- I’m always looking for YA and MG with amazing voices and unique concepts.
- I’m also interested in thrillers and suspense with female protagonists.
- I don’t usually like high fantasy, but I’d love to find something in the sci-fi area that’s really high concept and well-written.
- I’ll take a look at any genre if the story takes place in unique locations that the author has first-hand experience with, particularly Asia.
- Kristy is actively looking for new talent to add to her list, both debut authors and fan favorites!
- On the adult side, Kristy is looking for high concept women’s fiction that features protagonists overcoming something other than divorce or the death of a child/spouse, thrillers with book club appeal, and rom-coms set in wonderful urban settings.
- For children’s, she’s looking for young adult and middle grade and is open to most genres, including fantasy, paranormal, contemporary, historical, and magical realism.
- A unique voice, strong hook and a diverse cast of characters are always a must—she would also love to see more OwnVoices projects.
- I’m eager to find well-crafted stories with tight pacing; authentic, diverse characters (especially by #ownvoices authors); distinctive voices; and—above all--big, imaginative concepts.
- I love books demonstrating the strength of women, books that make me laugh out loud, and books about socially relevant topics.
- I’m fatigued with romance and women’s fiction submissions that seem to be treading the same paths, so something outside-the-box would be fantastic.
- I’m definitely in the mood for a romantic comedy or a humorous cozy mystery with a fresh setting.
- For YA, I’d love to see suspense or mystery that is dark and twisty or fantasies with strong worldbuilding and exciting new concepts. More than anything, I want to be surprised.
(click picture for more information)
QUIVER by Julia Watts received a perfect ten rating from VOYA magazine. It also...
Booklist gave Genevieve Cogman’s THE MORTAL WORD a starred review.
DEATH COMES TO BATH by Catherine Lloyd received a great review from Kirkus.
TIME’S CHILDREN by D.B. Jackson and THE BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE FICTION & FANTASY 2018...
YOU NEVER FORGET YOUR FIRST EARL by Ella Quinn made Kensington’s list of 13...
Unboundworlds’ list of "16 Science Fiction and Fantasy Tales of Pirates and Buccaneers" included LOST...
After she became the first writer ever to win the prestigious Hugo Award for...
Nalini Singh’s REBEL HARD made USA Today's Best-Selling Books list.
It also made PopSugar’s list of...
Entertainment Weekly’s article detailing when all 36 new Hallmark Christmas movies will debut included Welcome to Christmas,...
USA Today’s list of “5 recent must-read romances” on its Happy Ever After blog included PERFECT DAY by Sally...
NPR’s 1A radio program, which recently featured a call-in from Alyssa Cole, included her...
BookBub’s 18 Royal Romance Books to Sweep You Off Your Feet included Alyssa Cole’s A PRINCESS IN...
ARCHANGEL’S PROPHECY by Nalini Singh made Goodreads’s Fall in Love: The Most Anticipated Romance Books...
THEY PROMISED ME THE GUN WASN’T LOADED by James Alan Gardner, KING OF THE...
A New York Times article, The Changing Face of Romance Novels, and our source...
Women’s fiction, romance, young adult, literary, mystery, fantasy, science fiction, multicultural and inspirational/religious fiction, narrative nonfiction, self-help, health, memoirs, financial/business titles and more.